Hat schon jemand den Wortwitz mit der Trinkhalle im Weltall gemacht? Show more
capitalism, consumerism, education Show more
Due to tax cuts and the rising costs of textbooks, some USA schools are receiving corporate sponsored education materials.
This is just as bad as you think it is.
A 1998 study by the Consumers Union found 80% of these materials to be biased.
The educational materials were found to have incomplete or “slanted” information that favored the sponsor’s products and views.
Examples in next toot:
I have been completely removed from Facebook for a full year. It has been the best year in recent memory. OBSERVATIONS:
1) I'm still "connected" to current events. I'm just not bombarded with a thousand "rage-bait" rants about it.
2) I'm still connected with everyone that matters. We've shared the responsibility of staying in touch. Sometimes it's on me to reach out, sometimes it's on them. The people who haven't kept up with me, were just a relationship of ceremony and convenience.
3) I'm substantially less depressed. Surprising no one, I guess. It didn't cure depression, but it alleviated that which it brought: A lot.
4) I'm still super social online. I have community here and a few other places. We do things together, and don't just try to whip ourselves into a fury.
5) I've gained a meaningful perspective: *MY* perspective. Getting away from the manipulative pieces of those social media sites has given me enough clarity to be, well... "me."
Ich freue mich, daß es einige Shared-Tische gibt. Nur Strom wär dort noch toll. :) #35C3
Erstmal frühstücken. Dann komme ich! #35C3
Aus irgendeinem Grund war ich der Meinung, die Unterkunft für den #35C3 schon ab gestern gebucht zu haben. Als ich festgestellt habe, daß dem nicht so ist, entschieden wir spontan, erst heute früh zu fahren. Mithin sind wir nun unterwegs.
When designing a user interface, imagine some old woman using it, say Margaret Hamilton, and she's clicking your app's buttons and saying to you, as old people do,
"Young whippersnapper, when I was your age, I sent 24 people to the ACTUAL MOON with my software in 4K of RAM and here I am clicking your button and it takes ten seconds to load a 50 megabyte video ad and then it crashes
I'm not even ANGRY with you, I'm just disappointed."
I'm the guy who finds four-leaf clovers all the time.
chaos.social - because anarchy is much more fun with friends.
chaos.social is a small Mastodon instance for and by the Chaos community surrounding the Chaos Computer Club. We provide a small community space - Be excellent to each other, and have a look at what that means around here.
Follow @ordnung for low-traffic instance-related updates.
The primary instance languages are German and English.