The PnP machine programming for the Glasgow digital interface explorer revC1 front and back side are done. Setting up the new IC profiles for the parts that I don't have in my database always takes the longest time as I have to double and triple check the datasheets.
Now that both sides of Glasgow are programmed I can run the PnP table top optimizer. It places all the necessary feeders so that the parts with the highest placement count are closest to the board. This saves on the nozzle travel time. Glasgow has a lot of unique parts!
I have mounted a few of the feeders. I will not mount them all as these are only prototypes and not a full production run. I need to slightly adjust all the pickup positions to make sure the machine finds the parts.
Solder paste time! Decided to assemble the Glasgow back side first as it is simpler. I will make an elevated jig for the top side later. I do wish I had a Bantamtools CNC to make the jig but I will figure something out ;)
Let’s place some parts!!! Glasgow digital protocol explorer revC1 here we go! :D
Parts placed! Ready for reflow!
Done with reflow! Looking good! 🤩
Setting up a jig to apply solder paste to the top side of the Glasgow was easier than I expected! Glasgow has generous margins around the edges making it fairly easy.
Ready for the second round/side assembly of the Glasgow digital protocol explorer revC1! This side is bit more complicated, calling in the help of the Interactive HTML BOM! :D https://github.com/openscopeproject/InteractiveHtmlBom
Glasgow solder paste applied! :)
I forgot to check that the orientations of the PnP placed parts are correct. I am glad I remembered, it turns out all the LED are 180º off. I wish there was an orientation standard. :/ (I am placing high placement count parts with the PnP the rest by hand.)
Ok we are in business! Placing parts on the top side of the Glasgow revC1! :)
The PnP parts are placed! Now on to manual placement. :D
Ok, all ceramic capacitors and resistors placed! The Glasgow has a lot of unique resistor values...
All LEDs and single diodes placed! :D I like the look of the pink and white phosphors on the user LEDs. :D
Finally placing one of the two brains of the Glasgow. @lattice iCE40HX8K FPGA! The fact that it has an open source toolchain is what makes the whole project work. Te framework synthesizes new bitstreams on the fly! Imagine installing a proprietary toolchain to use a debug tool...
Finally! Many hours later all parts are placed on the Glasgow! I forget how much slower the meatbag PnP is compared to the real one. If only the setup of the real PnP would be less time consuming I would use it for prototypes too. I did save some time doing a "hybrid" approach :D
And done with reflow! Say hello to some shiny freshly baked Glasgow revC1 babies! :D
Initial visual inspection of the soldering looks good. Besides the one ceramic cap that I managed to knock off at some point, but it was holding on to the board long enough so I could solder it back onto it's pads. Now I have to take a look into the bringup and testing process ;)
chaos.social – a Fediverse instance for & by the Chaos community