- #Briar: https://briarproject.org
- #DeltaChat: https://delta.chat
- #Matrix: https://matrix.org
- #XMPP / #Jabber: https://xmpp.org (It aged very well, supports signal-like encyption and battery-efficient mobile apps now. If you dismissed it in the past, I encourage you to give it another try.)
@hut i appreciate jwz rants about signal very much:
"It is clear from its design and behavior that Signal's priority is to be a social network first and an encryption tool second."
That's not true! To use Matrix you have to fill out Google reCaptcha. And no, running your own Server isn't user-friendly.
I don't have a problem. You just lied when you said "Great alternatives to #Signal that check all the boxes (#decentralization, #privacy, #opensource, #anonymous, #cryptocurrency-free)", because Matrix isn't anonymous hence doesn't respect privacy.
And in my opinion it's way more worse to give a 3rd party like Google, that has nothing to do with Matrix at all, your credentials, than a Foundation a phone number, whose service you are willing to use.
All I want is honesty!
@tpheine Unfortunately I can't edit the toot, but thank you for warning the readers with your follow-up.
I respect your reaction and communication! More people should be like you. Thank you very much, I tip my hat to you!
@jpaul Threema seems like a nice company, but then again, so did the Signal Foundation. What do you do when they try to abuse their power?
@jpaul What if your email provider or mastodon server goes nuts? You can simply switch servers/providers, and still talk to the same people, using the same protocol. You don't have to self-host to get the advantages of decentralization. :)
1. Under the hood it runs on cryptocurrencies. Not sure what to make of that. It sure adds a profit incentive to everything they say and do.
2. Did you try using Session in a decentralized way? As in, setting up your own Session network and using that instead of the main one? The app doesn't even have a feature for changing the network. Not sure what to make of that either.
chaos.social – a Fediverse instance for & by the Chaos community