Do the Real Thing https://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/2020/05/04/do-the-real-thing/
“Privilege is the human version of ‘works on my machine’” — @lrnrd #jsconfbp (photo @janl)
.gay tld offends saudi arabia
"In order to receive development assistance, Tanzania has to give Western agribusiness full freedom and give enclosed protection for patented seeds. “Eighty percent of the seeds are being shared and sold in an informal system between neighbors, friends and family. The new law criminalizes the practice in Tanzania,” says Michael Farrelly of TOAM, an organic farming movement in Tanzania."
The freer the market, the freer the people
Zoom acquired Keybase today.
Keybase helped me to identify a trend in the software industry: using a pretty UI to cover up the disruption of an open ecosystem with a closed, centralized replacement. Keybase seemed cool on the face of it - making encryption easier is a laudible goal, and PGP certainly could use the improvement. But, thanks to Keybase, now I ask different questions upfront.
Beware the Keybase formula:
1. Integrates with an existing, open ecosystem
2. May have open-source clients, but server is closed source and does not federate
3. Pretty UI and good marketing
4. VC funded
One of their pioneers is Jacek Karpiński
who developed revolutionary and gorgeous computers:
* AKAT-1 - a 1960s analog computer:
* K-202 - revolutionary 16bit micro computer, no mass production
* KAR-65 - kind of a typical office computer
Though he suffered from censorship and become a pig farmer.
The Government™ has made an ad about the global response to the pandemic, and it's surprisingly honest and informative 🌏📺
👉 We're on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/thejuicemedia
(1) mpeg4 audio stream decoding, being based on "CSound" - a 1980's audio tool from MIT - is Turing complete, per spec.
(2) mpeg4 has, for backcompat reasons, got a cutout in the spec for embedding MIDI information to be interpreted by spec-compliant decoders.
(3) MIDI, in turn - and again per spec - enjoys a privileged and unauthenticated control channel for the purposes of updating audio device firmware.
So, the spec says playing the wrong audio file might root your hardware.
Danish news site reminds people of being skeptical of how news photographers take pictures. Here is the same place, one picture taken with a zoom lense, and the other with a wide-angle lense: nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2020-0…
Hvor tæt er folk på hinanden? Disse billeder er taget samtidig, men viser to meget forskellige ting
chaos.social – a Fediverse instance for & by the Chaos community