Telegram gained three million new users during Facebook outage
Yay, people jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.
- Telegram is usually non-free software. The FDroid version is free, but always a bit older, because they release the source code with a delay
- Telegram's server code is non-free and it uses homebrew cryptography
- Chats are not end-2-end encrypted by default, group chats are never end-2-end encrypted
- Telegram is running on centralised infrastructure that is easy to block or wiretap
- Authorities have been able to "hack" themselves into group chats at least since 2016
Thank you @resist__berlin !
This confirma my preference for Keybase (PGP made easy) or Signal.
Do you have further recommendations regarding chat services?
Signal is an okay choice if you don't mind giving away your phone number.
Personally, I prefer XMPP+OMEMO. It works on many platforms and with many clients and you can freely choose your server.
From what I've heard, Wire is also okay, same with Jami (formerly GNU Ring), and there is also Matrix and Briar. Esp. the latter is not sufficiently mature yet, the battery consumption is very high.
If you prefer the e-mail protocol, have a look at DeltaChat.
@resist__berlin amazing, thank you for the alternatives!
chaos.social - because anarchy is much more fun with friends.
chaos.social is a small Mastodon instance for and by the Chaos community surrounding the Chaos Computer Club. We provide a small community space - Be excellent to each other, and have a look at what that means around here.
Follow @ordnung for low-traffic instance-related updates.
The primary instance languages are German and English.